Feliz Cinco de Mayo! It is only fitting that I whip up a meal this evening to honor this festive holiday. These colorful nachos are great for a party, or can simply take the “blah” out of your week night dinner routine. Grab a friend to help you chop some veggies, and this tasty dish will be done in no time. These also go great with a cold beverage and a sombrero!
Total cost: $15.00
- 1-2 Beefsteak tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 large red onion, diced
- 6 baby red, yellow, and orange peppers, diced
- 2 avocados, pitted and diced
- 1/2 cup Romaine lettuce, finely chopped
- 1-1/2 cup Mexican-style shredded cheese
- 1 bag of tortilla chips, any style (I used Trader Joe’s Veggie & Flaxseed tortilla chips)
- 1 large Chorizo sausage, casing removed (I used Trader Joe’s soy-based Chorizo)
- 2 limes
- About 1 tsp each of garlic powder, cumin, salt, and black pepper
- sour cream or plain Greek yogurt (optional)
- salsa (optional)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Cooking spray, such as Pam
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Dice up all of your veggies, and place in a good-sized bowl. Add your seasonings and mix well.
3. Add the olive oil to a pan and cook the Chorizo at medium-high heat until browned.
4. Spray a 9×13 in. pan with cooking spray. Line the pan with tortilla chips, and top with cheese and chorizo. Bake in the oven until cheese is fully melted, for about 5 minutes.
5. Remove pan from oven, and top with your seasoned veggies. Add toppings as desired and enjoy!