I’m back from vacation, ready to ring in the school year and bring out the best of my go-to weeknight recipes. This one takes about 20 minutes, and if you make the quinoa ahead of time, it’s even quicker.
My Quinoa Fit For a Queen (or King) is a surprisingly flavorful dish, with the pesto adding some major flavor. You can make homemade pesto if you choose, but I had a jar of it on hand from Costco (theirs is pretty good)!
Feel free to get even more creative, and use some additional veggies or beans if you’re trying to do a pantry cleanse. In my opinion, the more veggies/beans, the better. Quinoa gets most of it’s flavor from whatever you add to it, so put on your crown, get in the kitchen, and have fun!
Serving size: About 2
Cost: About $8 total
- 1/2 cup dry quinoa, rinsed
- 2 small tomatoes, diced
- 1/3 onion, diced
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 1/3 cup mushrooms (I love the baby bellas), chopped
- 1/3 cup artichoke hearts (canned is fine)
- 1 15 oz. can cannellini beans, drained
- 2 heaping tbsp of pesto
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup water
- salt, pepper, garlic powder, and any other seasonings of your choice
1. In a saucepan, bring the quinoa and water to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for about 15-20 minutes, until the water is drained.
2. While the quinoa is doing its thing, heat the olive oil in a pan and sauté onions, tomatoes, artichokes, mushrooms, and spinach for about 3 minutes. Add desired seasonings while they cook up.
3. Once those veggies are looking good, throw in the cannellini beans and lower the heat to a small simmer. Add your cooked quinoa, and mix everything together. Top with the pesto, and voila! Royalty!
Fun Fact: Did you know that quinoa was first cultivated in South America by pre-Colombian Andeans? These guys knew what was up, because quinoa provides us with good protein, fiber, calcium, magnesium, and iron!