Hello, readers! I hope you all had a terrific Thanksgiving! If you’re still in a turkey coma or are reluctantly finishing up leftovers, you’re probably ready for something new this week. For those of you partaking in juice detoxes, good for you! For me, personally, I still would like to eat solid food.
To get my week started on a healthy note, I made a BIG salad to last me several days. It’s lighter than gravy and mashed potatoes, but doesn’t leave me feeling deprived. In fact, I am bold enough to say that it would even please the “meat and potatoes” eaters out there. I think about my dad, who can’t order a salad without it have some kind of meat source on it, and he’d prefer there to be A LOT of it. I don’t blame him; sometimes, a meatless/fishless salad just doesn’t do it.
My goal was to create a salad that “hits the spot,” and that my dad and other meat-lovers out there would even consider eating as a meal. The beauty of salads is that there are truly no limits…no bread or wrap that’s restricting the amount of ingredients you can add. I love that.
My “Mighty Meaty Salad” is not a “diet food” or “light” option, but rather is a healthy, filling, and DELICIOUS meal that produces leftovers for one or a meal for many.
- 1 package of lettuce or mixed greens, chopped
- 2 bell peppers of your choice, chopped
- 1 large cucumber, chopped
- 3/4 cup of cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1/2 can of chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 3 chicken or turkey sausages, diced small
- 2 hardboiled eggs, diced small
1. Bake sausages according to package directions. I baked mine at 400º for about 15 minutes until browned and crispy on the outside. I used Coleman Natural brands’ “Mild Italian” chicken sausages, which come already pre-cooked.
2. Boil your eggs. Click here for the perfect hardboiled egg.
3. While sausages and eggs are cooking, wash and chop your veggies, and rinse/drain chickpeas.
4. When eggs and sausages are done, cut into small pieces. Mix all ingredients together in a big bowl, and EAT with whatever dressing or dip you like!